April 19, 2011

Havarti Me Timbers

I'm cooking from the brand new Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook and here's one of the easy recipes. Like most of the recipes, though, the Tupelo Honey chicken Sandwich with Havarti Cheese and Cranberry Mayonnaise does require some marinating time - preferably overnight. Otherwise, it's an easy and tasty recipe.

The Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook has a section called "Larder" where various and sundry staples used throughout the book are located. The recipe for Tupelo Honey Chicken marinade is in that section, and it's a piece of cake. Very tasty cake.

I mixed up some pineapple juice...err, crushed pineapple because I couldn't find any actual pineapple juice at my local store. So, I dumped crushed pineapple, olive oil, soy sauce, and minced garlic into a plastic bag and threw in two boneless skinnless chicken breasts. Then I mushed the bag around to get all ingredients mingling. I let that sit in the fridge all night (though I'm sure you could cut that time down.)

Marinating Chicken
The next night when I got home from work, I sauteed the chicken until nicely done. Actually, too done - it was dry and chewy. Cooking meat until perfectly done has always been a challenge for me. I sliced the chicken and set it aside.

The rest of the sandwich was a breeze. The cranberry mayonnaise is made with equal parts canned whole cranberry dressing and mayonnaise. This would be fabulous on a after-Thanksgiving sandwich.

Cranberry Mayonnaise
To finish the sandwich, I sliced some bread, added butter, spread the cranberry mayonnaise, added the chicken, sliced Havarti cheese, and added another dollop of cranberry relish. Beautiful!

Chicken Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment