May 15, 2011

Porchicken Stir-Fry


Cook & Tell
It started as a pork-stir fry, but turned into chicken. I'm exploring some of the recipes from Cook and Tell: No-Fuss Recipes and Gourmet Surprises by Karyl Bannister. For years Cook & Tell has been a popular home-cooking newsletter; now it's an internet destination and has been in business since 1982. This recipe can be found on page 142 of the cookbook.

Bannister claims this is similar to Chinese take-out and is "great left over." A read through the ingredients had me questioning that claim. The ingredients are pretty standard for a stir-fry: thinly chopped cabbage, green bell peppers (I used red,) an onion, a couple of carrots.

All Chopped Up & Ready To Go
Pork was the suggested meat, but I substituted cooked chicken. Vegetable oil, salt and pepper, soy sauce, and hot cooked rice are also in the original recipe.

Notice anything missing?

Because I have fond memories of mom's Sweet and Sour Chicken (and make the same recipe to this day,) my first thought was where's the flavor? Many stir-fry recipes have some type of a sauce, but this seemed to rely on flavor from cooking the meat, and adding some water in with the vegetables.

I looked online for a suitable sauce, and found one - then tweaked with sesame oil and sugar. I prepared most of the dish without the sauce and spooned out a bit to taste. Then I poured in the sauce and stirred to combine.


In the end, this is definitely not as good as a restaurant dish, and I completely prefer the portion with sauce. It adds a light but deep flavor, and is just right for preparation after a long day at work: it's hearty, filling, and fast.

Porchicken Stir-Fry
adapted from Cook & Tell

1 1/2 cup chicken, cooked and cubed
1 1/2 T oil - I used canola
2 cup cabbage, finely slivered
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 small carrots, thinly sliced
1 T rice vinegar
1 T soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
garlic powder to taste
ginger powder to taste
sugar to taste
Rice, cooked and warm
Sesame seeds, toasted (optional)

Get everything chopped before you turn the heat on the stove; this cooks fast!

Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, ginger powder, and sugar. Set aside.

Heat the oil until sizzling and add in the carrots. Stir around a bit, then add onion and cabbage. Finally add the red bell pepper. Stir until all is wilted, or starting to brown (depends how you like your veggies; I prefer mine on the crunchy-fresh side.) Throw in the chicken, stir to warm. And finally add the sauce, stir to combine, remove from heat and serve over warm rice. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I like the idea of the cabbage, something I don't use in cooking very often. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must give you the recipe that has a head of cabbage, one onion, and a stick of butter. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo! I think I need the cabbage, onion, butter recipe too!

    I'm enjoying your blog and found it by googling 'cookbook fetish' - I was hoping to use that name for my own blog, but you beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy! It's always nice to meet a fellow cookbook lover; be sure to come back and tell us what your blog is called. I'm going to have to dig out my copy of Recipes 1-2-3 for the cabbage...

    ReplyDelete