July 25, 2011

Okonomatopoeia?

Onomatopoeia is the term that an English major (me) uses for a word that imitates or suggests the source of the sound: think "hiccup" or "zoom" or even "quack." This Japanese street food is called Okonomiyaki, and onomatopoeiacally, I'd call it "yummy" as the basic meaning of the word is "what you like, grilled." And it reminds me of potato pancakes. Kind of.

I first learned of Okonomiyaki viewing the collection of Chow.com videos on YouTube. Then, being a fervent reseacher, I googled my brains off and found Okonomiyaki World - which told me everything I needed to know, and then some. I couldn't wait to try it out at home.

Unfortunately, it's been ridiculously hot since my return from Denver, and I haven't felt like being in the kitchen turning the heat up even higher. But we got a break in the heat wave recently, so I headed to the hottest room in the house: the kitchen. First I mixed up the okonomi sauce:

Catsup, Worcestershire, Soy
In another bowl, I mixed flour, water, and eggs to form a pancake-like batter.


Then I added veggies, meat, and stirred to combine. The very last addition was Rice Krispies for some crunchiness. Part of the reason I wanted to make this recipe was so I had a good excuse to buy a huge package of Rice Krispies and make a pan of Rice Krispie Treats - all for myself! (OK, perhaps I'll take them into work...maybe...or not.)

Veggies added to the batter
I prepared my pan with oil, and dropped a well-packed one cup measurement onto the heated pan. The batter started sizzling immediately. I shaped the pancake into a circular shape and pressed down until it was about 5" across - close to size of my palm. I've read that these are traditionally 12" across, but I don't have that big of a griddle.

Cooking before the first flip - bacon on top.
I placed bacon on top of the pancake and waited roughly three minutes, then flipped the pancake so the bacon was on the griddle. The sizzling continued.


After a few more minutes, I flipped the pancake back over to complete the cooking. I repeated these steps until I'd used all of the batter, which gave me three good size okonomiyaki's. I added Okonomi sauce and mayonnaise, and dug in.


I've got to say, these are really tasty. This was my first time making okonomiyaki, so I wasn't sure what to expect, perhaps a potato pancake thingie?

This was a lot better than potato pancakes, though, and far more filling. I used a little grated ginger in lieu of the pickled ginger; next time I'll definitely spring for authentic pickled ginger (love the stuff anyway.) I'll also add salt and pepper to the batter. I think these would freeze well, too.

I really like the potential for variation with Okonomiyaki. I can imagine using a wide variety of in season vegetables that are quick to cook: kale, carrot, parsnip, radish...anything that can be cut into long, thin strips or thinly diced. The next time I make these, I'll also experiment more with the meats, perhaps adding shrimp or another seafood.

Okonomiyaki are good for any meal of the day: breakfast, lunch, dinner, or an in-between snack. And do not omit the Okonomi sauce. Yummy!

BEST OKONOMIYAKI RECIPE
Adapted from okonomiyakiworld.com

FOR THE PANCAKE
1 cup flour
2/3 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
2 scallions, diced
1/4 cup Rice Krispies
6 strips bacon
1/2 cup chicken, cooked
ginger shavings (or 1 oz pickled ginger)
1 ear corn, shucked
1/4 cup roasted red pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste

TOPPINGS:
The sky's the limit here, but traditional toppings can be bonito flakes, seafood flakes, and a variety of sauces. I used a combination of mayonnaise and Okonomi Sauce.

FOR THE OKONOMI SAUCE
3 T catsup
1 T Worcestershire
1 t soy
Mix and set aside. Try it with a drop or two of liquid smoke, too.

MAKE THE PANCAKE
1. Mix the flour, water, and eggs into a batter.
2. Add cabbage, scallions, chicken, ginger, corn, red pepper and stir to combine.
3. Get the grill heated up, then -and only then- add the Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
4. Add oil to the griddle and drop about 1 cup of the okonmiyaki mixture onto the sizzling griddle. Shape into a circular pancake.
5. Add bacon to cover, and let cook three or more minutes.
6. Flip so that the bacon is on the griddle, and cook four minutes longer.
7. Flip the pancake again, and cook until firm and well browned.
8. Remove to plate, cover with sauces and toppings and devour.

Or, as the recipe at Okonmiyaki says, "Eat quickly before someone near you takes your portion."

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic...and I bet my oldest would go crazy for them. And how much does the word okonomatopoeia stick in your head? Cuz I'll be saying it for the rest of the day now, I'm sure of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...perhaps I can get my mom or sister to try these out on my nieces and nephew? Okonomatopoeia, Okonomiyai, and Okonomni are all fun words!

    ReplyDelete