September 4, 2011

Glad Rags For Diners - Part Two


My companions and I had just spent more than an hour meticulously investigating (and buying) delightful finds from Glad Rags Resale on Columbus Avenue in Bay City, and boy - we were hungry.


Old City Hall Restaurant at 814 Saginaw Street won the dinner debate, and it was an excellent (if a bit pricey) choice. After reading the menu, here's what we ate:

Gumbo Soup.  Cajun-styled spices, okra. Nearly too hot for me!
Sometimes when splitting items with a group, there can be a negative attitude from the waiter or waitress. That was not the case at the Old City Hall Restaurant, as we each received a small cup of soup to taste.

I also had to take pictures as fast as possible as hunger also makes people impatient. And the food all smelled so good!

Grilled Chicken Nachos
The chicken nachos were tasty, but nothing special. The corn tortillas were extra hard to chew and I wish there had been a fresh tomato salsa or or guacamole included on the side.

Artichoke Chicken in Creamy Lemon Butter Sauce
Served with seasonal vegetables the artichoke chicken was disappointing, yet certainly satisfying. I did enjoy the creamy lemon butter sauce and the crisp green beans.

Lobster Hush Puppies with Honey Chili sauce
I'd come back to Old City Hall Restaurant just to be able to eat the Lobster Hush Puppies again. I wish the sauce wasn't so hot (err, that's my issue for sure.) The little bit of the sauce I tasted had great promise:

Think honey,

and then think Thai Chili.

Add a bite of lobster,

fried crunchiness,

and feel your taste buds dance in delight!

Saginaw Street Shops in Bay City, Michigan
We finished dinner by splitting a piece of red velvet cake. No picture, sorry - the cake was pummeled by three fast-moving forks.

The Old City Hall Restaurant is located in the building that was the first city hall in Bay City. It's said that there are ghosts in the building, though I didn't see or feel any during our visit. We arrived at just after 5pm, and the restaurant was practically empty. Over the course of the next hour, the place really filled up. Despite the rather lackluster food, I would definitely return to this casual restaurant. Plus there are shops and other eateries to explore nearby.

The menu at Old City Hall Restaurant changes seasonally. I wonder what they're cooking up for autumn?

Old City Hall Restaurant
814 Saginaw Street, Bay City, MI 48708
(On Saginaw Street between 5th and Center.)
989-892-4140
M-F Dinner 5p-10p
Tues-Fri Lunch 11:30-5p
Saturday Happy Hour 3p, Dinner 4p-10p

2 comments:

  1. I love your review. You should be writing for a paper or magazine.
    I always ask the server for their recommendation. Usually they are spot on. I hate to waste money and time on mediocre food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww shucks - thank you for the compliment. If you know of a paper or magazine that needs a good writer (and they're located in Mid-Michigan) let me know. Perhaps I will start asking for the opinion of the server more often?

    ReplyDelete