January 20, 2011

Roasted Rosemary Chicken Breasts

FYI - This week I'm cooking from my a personal collection of recipes from the RelishRelish online menu service. I'm exploring the recipes I selected for the week of November 24, 2008.

RelishRelish recipes are easy to follow - most of the time. This one stumped me just a bit. The recipe admonishes you to use a sharp knife and slice the tops from two heads of garlic and reserve the bottoms. Then you're supposed to arrange the tops in the center of a large roasting pan. The object, it seemed was to use the garlic tops as a "rack" for the chicken.

Itty Bitty Garlic Tops


Yeah right. The itty bitty garlic tops were never going to be able to support the monster chicken bone-in breasts I'd purchased that weighed in at nearly a pound and a half each. I simply placed the chicken in the pan and proceeded on. I noticed no difference in taste.

The two garlic heads I placed alongside the super-duper-breasts and drizzled olive oil over all. I didn't have fresh rosemary, so simply sprinkled crushed rosemary around, and placed the heavy pan into an oven preheated to 425.

Chicken and Garlic Slathered in Olive Oil
 Thirty minutes later I removed the pan, flipped the garlic over, and returned to the oven for an additional twenty minutes. What emerged was roast chicken of utter perfection - crisp skin, glistening juices, and succulent, melt-in-your-mouth breast. 

Roasted Chicken and Garlic



Standing at the stove, temptation overtook me. I sliced some breast, squeezed a handful of baked garlic cloves. Then I sliced up day-old baguette and sopped up the juices directly from the roasting pan, and moaned with pleasure. Thank you RelishRelish!

5 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I'm not sure how I got an e-mail about your blog, but I decided to check it out. Everything looks great! It turns out we both started a blog @ the same time--mine's about my fiber art (vlcdesigns.blogspot.com) in case you're interested. I also live in MI, but am wintering in AZ. I'll give your info to a woman I know who LOVES cookbooks, too. Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Virginia! A fiber artist & you're from Michigan - must be an artistic connection. Hope meet you one of these days at a W6 gathering, and I'll definitely check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Arizona and love good food. Discovered Harry's Hideaway in Cornville this week. Julie, could you send me your leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and if you need fresh rosemary, I trimmed about a truckload yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DO have a thing about fresh rosemary - just love that smell!

    ReplyDelete